Flowers and shrubs
- Plant: Primulas, polyanthus, pansies, violas, cineraria, sweet pea, and stock
- Trim shrubs and hedging before the cold temperatures of winter set in
- Keep cutting back and dead-heading summer flowering perennials
- Plant out your bulbs remembering to add some bulb food into the soil when planting
- Plant up pots, containers and hanging baskets for autumn and winter colour. Plant with: bellis, lobelia, polyanthus, flowering kale, primula, violas, snapdragons, wildflowers, sweet william, cineraria, pansies. Mix in some slow release fertiliser and feed regularly with flowering plant food.
- This is the ideal time to plant winter flowering shrubs and trees. The soil is still warm and moist, plus it gives the plant time to establish before winter begins
Vegetable and fruit
- Plant: broad beans, cabbages, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, kale, turnips, bok choy leeks, spinach and silver beet
- Plant feijoas now while the soil is still warm
- Also plant decidious fruit trees such as peaches, plums, nectarines, apples
Pests and general tasks
- Weeds are setting seed now, just like all the other plants, so remove flowers and seeds heads as soon as you see them and chuck them out with your household rubbish
- A spray with copper on your fruit trees will help to kill off any fungus - make sure you do it after all the fruit has been picked though.