Autumn is the perfect time of year to give your lawn a bit of TLC. Whether you choose to rip the whole lot up and re-sow your lawn, or you just want to repair some patches after heat of summer, read on for lawn care tips. Plus - see what they do in California to keep their lawns looking great - it's a little weird, but definitely something to think about!
- If you are starting from scratch, and want to re-sow all your grass, you need to spray with an all-purpose weed killer. Wait until the grass and weeds have browned off, then dig over the soil well - adding a bit of extra topsoil if you need it.
- The lawn seed you choose will depend on how you use the area - does it need to be hard-wearing, or is it more of a show-lawn? Your local garden centre will help you out.
- When you sow the grass-seed, broadcast it in two directions - from north to east, then west to south. This will ensure an even distribution.
- Lightly rake to make sure the seed is covered with soil, then water lightly.
- Make sure you keep the soil moist by watering lightly on a daily basis. Once it has germinated water deeply, but less often. This will create a lawn that is relatively drought resistant with a good root system.
- Don't mow your lawn until it is well established, and has grown to at least 5cm.
- To keep your lawn strong and weed-free, feed every 2-3 months with a lawn fertiliser that's high in nitrogen Always apply the fertiliser after watering or rain, and water again afterwards to prevent the fertiliser burning your lawn.